Tuesday 5 August 2014

Visited Shelf: The Edge of the World Bookshop

I love bookshops. The atmosphere, the smell, and most importantly the shelves and shelves of beautiful books. I love the convenience of online shopping too, but when it comes to books the browsing experience just doesn't compare. Within the bookshop world independent bookshops are the best of the best.

The 'Visited Shelf' is going to be a series of posts on independent bookshops I've visited, loved, and want to share with the world. If they take your fancy, add them to a 'to visit shelf', and share good bookshops you've visited with me (It will make me super super happy), then we've got ourselves shelves and shelves of bookshop loving. 

First up: The Edge of the World Bookshop, Penzance.

Website header: the description's spot on. 
I spent an afternoon in Penzance when I was on holiday in Cornwall at the end of July, as soon as I saw this shop I could't help but make a beeline for its entrance.


Outside the shop, photo taken
from their website
The shop describes itself as having a 'cornucopia of books', and I wouldn't disagree. 
My copy of More Than This: the clever little door design
made me far too happy. It has now taken pride of place on
 my bookshelf next to the Chaos Walking Trilogy. 

There's a good selection of recent releases, and I found myself a copy of More Than This by Patrick Ness. (The holiday 'ice cream' money generously gifted to me by my Grandma was put towards a slightly different use than she intended - sorry Grandma, but look at how amazing the cover is!)

They also stock a range of local books, which I think is one great thing about independent bookshops, they always have a bigger connection with the local community. 

In this case The Edge of the World also hold regular events and signings, which you can keep up to date with on their facebook page. 

(Image from The Edge of the
World Website)
To purchase
a signed copy click here




As you walk in they have a table of books signed by the author, which make for an extra special purchase of gift.  My mum found a stunning signed copy of the Song of the Golden Hare by Jackie Morris, and we purchased it for one of my younger cousins. The book has amazing artwork, and the signature and quick hare doodle on the title page made it seem that bit more unique.

  The Edge of the World then uses this to support local charities. They're currently selling limited edition Jackie Morris prints (that you can buy from their website) with all profits going to the Little Harbour Children’s Hospice.  

Limited Jackie Morris Print: Click to go to the image source, you get the option to buy one too!
Inside the shop, photo taken from their website. 
Another perk of the independent bookshop are the different editions that can be discovered. The Edge of the World stock the beautiful cloth bound penguin classics. You may be able to find a copy of Lady Chatterley's Lover in most bookshops, but can you always find one that looks so pretty?

The Edge of the World also stock a great range of 'non-book' items. This includes cards, gift wrap, toys (which compliment a fab children's book section) and stationary. 

If you happen to be anywhere near Penzance, then I really recommend you pop in, the staff were lovely and welcoming and the book selection top notch. If not, you can still support the store by ordering online or over the phone, they post anywhere within the UK. :)



Details

Let me know about any bookshops you've enjoyed visiting :) 




Disclaimer: Normally I like to use my own photos, but The Edge of the World Bookshop helped inspired the series idea after I'd visited it and now I'm hundreds of miles away. :( Any images that are not mine have been indicated and cited in their captions.
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

Comment below and I'll do my best to reply :)

© Lucadonta . All rights reserved.
MINIMAL BLOGGER TEMPLATES BY pipdig